- 1 1/2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (unsweetened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix first 5 dry ingredients in a greased 8″ square baking pan. Make 3 depressions in dry ingredients – two small, one larger. Pour vinegar in one depression, vanilla in the other and the vegetable oil in third larger depression. Pour water over all. Mix well until smooth.
- Bake on middle rack of oven for 35 minutes. Check with toothpick to make sure it comes out clean. Cool. Top with the Peanut Butter Frosting below!
- Note: Oven baking times may vary, be sure to check your cake to make sure you do not over bake.
PEANUT BUTTER FROSTING
- 1/2 cup butter, softened to room temperature (be sure to use real butter, not margarine)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons milk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- *Very Important – before making, be sure all ingredients for the frosting are at room temperature.
- Place butter and peanut butter in a medium to large size bowl, beat using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Next add two cups of confectioners’ sugar, beat until blended well and it begins to thicken, then add vanilla (optional) and 1 tablespoon of milk at a time (3 tablespoons total) – mix for approximately 3 minutes, until it’s lighter, fluffy and spreadable. If frosting is too thick, add a little more milk and beat. When ready, frost cake